Kenyans are increasingly buying cars as the economic conditions continue to improve. However, most buyers struggle to find the right car to buy based on factors such as price and reliability. Hence, below is a breakdown of the top 10 best cars to buy in Kenya.
Benefits of buying a car in Kenya
Having a car comes with several benefits such as;
- Convenience– In a country such as Kenya with unreliable and chaotic public transport, having a car brings a lot of conveniences. One such convenience is the ability to travel anywhere anytime.
- Comfort – Getting your car ensures you are in control of your comfort and space. This is opposed to using public transport such as taxis and matatus where you have to share space.
- Investment- This is a benefit to those buying cars for commercial purposes. Some of these include carrying goods and people such as matatus. The car allows you to make a profit and hence it is considered an investment.
- Safety- With your car, you can take several measures to ensure improved safety. Some of these include timely servicing and physical enhancements.
Factors to consider when buying a car
- Cost – perhaps cost is the key determinant when buying a car. This is because every car comes at a different price. The cost could be in terms of buying price or the maintenance cost.
- Fuel consumption – Cars consume different amounts of fuel. Fuel consumption is determined by factors such as engine size and driving techniques. Hence, you need to buy a car that you can conveniently fuel. Recently, electric cars have joined the market. Hence, giving consumers more choices.
- Use of the car – Use is a key factor when buying a car. This could either be for commercial or private use. As an example, if you plan to transport goods, you should consider buying a lorry.
- Brand – There are many car brands in the country. Some of these include Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes, and Honda. Hence, you should buy a brand that best suits you. When settling on a brand, you should consider the brand’s reputation.
Top 10 best cars to buy in Kenya
This list will consider factors such as reliability, affordability, and general demand in the market.
1. Toyota Prado
This is one of the best SUV cars to buy in the country. It comes with good performance, comfort, and class. It also has a good clearance necessary to transverse the Kenyan roads.
The car also comes with 7 seats and a big engine giving you flexibility, capacity, and performance.
Some of its key competitors include Mitsubishi Pajero and Ford Everest. It has an engine capacity ranging from 2700cc and 3000cc with a fuel consumption averaging 10km/l.
The price for a Toyota Prado starts from 5 million onwards depending on the year of manufacture.
2. Toyota fielder
Toyota fielder is one of the most common hatchbacks in the country. The car is a top choice due to its reliability, fuel economy, and performance.
The fielder spare parts are also affordable and available. This is a good choice if you are looking for a good car on a budget. It is a 5-seater with an engine capacity of 1500cc.
However, the car has one downside which is being prone to theft. Hence, it will require you to take extra safety precautions.
3. Honda fit
Honda Fit is a compact hatchback that has become common mostly due to its use in the online tax business. The car is reliable and has a big space both for passengers and luggage.
The car comes with an engine capacity ranging from 1300cc to 1500 cc. Its fuel consumption averages 16KM/L
The price for a Honda Fit starts from 900,000 shillings onwards depending on the year of manufacture.
4. Mazda Demio
This car’s popularity has also been boosted by the online taxi business. Most users prefer it due to its low fuel consumption and reliability.
Mazda Demio is a compact hatchback that comes with an engine size ranging from 1300cc to 1500cc. Its main competitors in the market include Toyota Vitz and Nissan Note.
The car’s average fuel consumption is 18 km/L. Some of the drawbacks of the car are the less leg space, especially for tall users.
The average price for a Mazda Demio is 900,000 Shillings.
5. Toyota Noah
Toyota Noah is a reliable and comfortable 7-seater car. It is common due to its both personal and commercial uses.
The car comes with a 2000cc engine capacity with a fuel consumption averaging 14KM/L. One of the main challenges of Toyota is the low ground clearance.
Toyota Noah competes in the market with Toyota Voxy, Nissan Serena, and Honda Stepwagon.
Its retail price in the market starts at 1.5 Million shillings
6. Nissan NV200
Selling at an average of 1.3 Million shillings, Nissan NV200 is one of the best-preferred cars to ferry cargo and make deliveries.
The car is reliable and affordable to maintain. It comes with an engine size of 1600cc and has a fuel consumption averaging 13KM/L.
Some of its main competitors in the market include Mazda bongo and Toyota TownAce.
7. Nissan Xtrail
This is a common car in the crossover SUVs category. It is nice looking, offers good performance, and is spacious.
Some of its main competitors include Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, and Mitsubishi Outlander.
It comes with two engine capacities either 2000cc or 2500cc and has a fuel consumption averaging 13km/l.
Its price starts at 1.8 Million in Kenya.
8. Toyota Axio
Toyota Axio is one of the most common sedans in the market. Packaged as a family car, it is reliable and affordable to acquire and maintain.
The car comes both with 1500cc and 1800cc engine capacity. It has good legroom and can comfortably sit 5 passengers. The car has a consumption averaging 16 km/L.
Some of its main competitors include Nissan Sylphy, Honda Civic, and Mazda Axela.
One of the common challenges is being unstable at high speeds. It has an average selling price of 1.2 million in the market.
9. Mazda CX5
This is a crossover SUV and competes in the market with Nissan Xtrail, Honda CRV, and Subaru Forester.
The car is stylish and offers good performance and high ground clearance. It has an average market price of 2.5 million.
It comes with an engine of 2000cc and 2500cc and has a fuel consumption averaging 14km/l.
Some of the challenges facing this car are that the diesel version commonly to breaking down. However, the Petrol type is very reliable.
10. Isuzu Dmax Pickup
This is the most common pickup car in the country. They are most common with both private and public institutions. The reason for this is both reliability and performance.
They come either as a single cab or a double cab. The average price of this car is 2.5 million.
Some of the main competitors include Nissan Navara, Mitsubishi L-200, and Toyota Hilux. Isuzu Dmax comes with an engine capacity of either 2500cc or 3000cc.
Below is a recap of the Top 10 best cars to buy in Kenya.
- Toyota Prado
- Toyota Fielder
- Honda Fit
- Mazda Demio
- Toyota Noah
- Nissan N200
- Nissan Xtrail
- Toyota Axio
- Mazda CX5
- Isuzu Dmax